I moved to Milwaukee a month ago, can I file for divorce?

An action for divorce or legal separation may not be filed if the person filing for divorce or legal separation  has not resided in the county in which the papers are being filed for at least 30 days immediately before filing per s. 767.301, Stats.


I was injured at work, what should I do?

If you are injured at work, you should report your injury to your employer right away!  If you believe you need to see a doctor but are not sure, you should go see your doctor anyways.  Your doctor will be able to assess your injury and let you know if you need additional medical attention.  Failure to seek medical treatment may have an adverse effect on your claim for worker’s compensation benefits if you have to file a claim later on.

I was denied social security benefits, what should I do?

If you have been denied social security benefits, you should appeal.  Read the notice of denial letter carefully as it tells you how to appeal your claim and how much time you have to appeal.  Secondly, the notice will tell you if the denial was for a medical or non-medical reason.  This will help you determine how you need to work up your case on appeal.  Many claims for benefits are denied on initial application and even at reconsideration, so do not get discouraged if you are denied.  Since the Administration’s decision is based on documentation of your medical condition(s) it will be important that you continue to provide the necessary documentation to prove your claim.


I was ordered to attend mediation, do I have to attend?

Under Wisconsin law, courts must refer parties to mediation in family cases in which it appears that there may be disagreements on custody and/or placement.  However, each county may have different rules on how the courts meet this requirement.  After the referral is made the parties may choose not to engage in mediation for various reasons.  Court ordered mediation is usually very economically feasible and you should take advantage of this opportunity.  Additionally, by agreement you and the other parent or party can engage in private mediation, which will give control over who the mediator is and the style of mediation used.


Can I file for an annulment instead of divorce?

It depends.  A divorce ends a marriage whereas an annulment would void a marriage, as if it never existed.  Contrary to common belief, the length of your marriage does not determine whether you should be filing for divorce versus annulment.  In Wisconsin, there are statutory factors under s. 767.313 you must meet in order to be granted an annulment.  In a divorce the only requirement is that the marriage is irretrievably broken.

Email us your questions.

Begin Your Case Evaluation

4 + 9 =

I had a great experience with Kashoua being my attorney. I had a family law issue that I had been struggling with for quite sometime. Kashoua helped me …


Read More

The direct and focused attention that Attorney Kashoua Yang provided me for my Social Security appeal was essential in the success of my appeal…


Read More

Kashoua Yang was wonderful to us. She took on our case long distance as we live in Tempe Arizona and our legal problem was in Milwaukee Wisconsin.


Read More

Kashoua was empathetic to our difficult situation and she took the time to answer all of our questions. She is a great communicator and is very responsive…


Read More